Title>Still Waters Run Deep

Thursday, January 19, 2006

I was reading the news today and came across an article about President Bush wanting to implement a law that everyone going into the states from Canada and vice versa has to have a passport. For some reason it made me really angry; people just seem to have fewer and fewer rights these days to live their lives as they want to without always being under the scrutiny of either the government, the police or so called do-gooders who spend their time prying into other people’s personal lives. I wish that those of us who want to be left in peace to enjoy our privacy and solitude could be allowed to do so; it’s one of the reasons I’ve never been to the states and never will either. My boyfriend was originally from the states and he hated it there in the end. He used to say he could remember a time when you could go into a store and they didn’t ask for your phone number or postal code, and when you could make a phone call knowing it wasn’t being listened to by the US government. I hate being just a stat or number to them.

My boyfriend and I lived a very private life. He’s gone now, but I still do, more out of habit because of him than because I have anything to hide. I know that some people would say that my boyfriend was a dubious character but those people didn’t know him like I did. He may have been different to what people would consider to be an upstanding citizen but he was strong, supportive, loving and very attentive and he never did me a single wrong. The events in his life that caused him to be judged so strongly by others were things that he had no choice in. Sadly societal pressure to conform can be too much for some people.
I know that Bob would have been proud of the way I continue to live my life and I also know that he would be happy for me if I met someone else and fell in love again. I only hope that some day I will but it will have to be with someone that I cherish and respect as much as him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home